Close up and personal with one of Italy’s most wildly beautiful regions.
The region of Abruzzo is very special. Personally, I fell in love with her green hills, jagged peaks, rustic cuisine and kind locals on my very first visit. These days, I’m longing to return but most of all, I want to show you this surprising, quiet corner of Italy.
- Explore the ancient ruins of a fortified castle high up in the hills of Calascio.
- Discover the essence of Abruzzese rustic cuisine with a visit to Navelli, renowned for its local saffron production.
- Paddle the gentle, crystal waters of River (Fiume) Tirino. Experience Italy’s purest river, and learn about its unique fauna and flora (not to be missed!)
- Visit one of the regions greatest, multi-generational wine producers of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo - a world famous red wine made from the Montepulciano grape. Taste the subtle variations of the many vintages.
- Walk through the peaceful, high altitude meadows of Gran Sasso National Park (walks and hikes for all physical abilities are available).
- Visit the tiny medieval village of Santo Stefano. Wander the quiet hilltop town and explore its many ancient ruined buildings. Shop the inhabitants many housemade crafts and unique artistry.
- Witness "Transumanza" from the Latin "trans (through-across), and "humes" (ground-land). Transumanza is the traditional springtime herding of cows and sheep from lowlands to higher mountain pastures.
- Visit the region’s best Agriturismo for a memorable lunch of traditional Abruzzese specialties. We’ll pair the perfect local wines with dishes cooked fresh from the attached farm.
All itineraries are fully customizable and may or may not include all items listed above.
What’s Included: Private airport transfers and journey transportation by van, 4 ferry crossings, 15 incredible meals, all journey accommodations, entry and activity fees.
What’s not Included: Airfare, activities, transportation and meals not listed in the itinerary along with travel protection and insurance.
*Activity Level: Our journeys are physically active. This is an important part of traveling like a Sojourner! On our Journeys — among other things — you'll need to be ready willing and able to 1) Carry/roll your luggage over uneven pavement (several blocks if necessary) and up stairways to reach your lodgings; then up several flights of stairs to reach your room. 2) Be on your feet, walking, standing and sometimes hiking for three to eight hours, indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions, on varying types of terrain and elevation. 3) Sleep with street noise and no (or weak) air conditioning. After orientation and transportation lessons, be able to navigate through the city on your own.
Accommodations: Your Journey Pass includes one double room with one queen size bed or two twin size beds for 2 guests. We stay in small, boutique B&Bs and not hotels. A single supplement will apply if you require an additional room.
Meals: Travelers must make Sojourn Italy aware of any dietary restrictions and allergies 96 days prior to departure. 13 outstanding meals are included on this journey. All included meals are listed in the detailed itinerary.
Cancellation / Transfer Policy: Deposits for journeys are 100% refundable for 30 days from the date they are received. After 30 days your deposit becomes non-refundable, and will be forfeited should you decide to cancel your reservation. Cancellation Fees: 96+ days prior to trip start - $200 per person (including the contest winner). 61-95 days prior to trip start - 30% per person (including the contest winner). 31-60 days prior to trip start - 60% per person (including the contest winner). 0-30 days prior to trip start - 100% per person (including the contest winner). If you must cancel your reservation, your cancellation fee will be determined according to the policy outlined below. Exceptions to our cancellation policy cannot be made for any reason, including weather, terrorism, civil unrest or personal emergencies. There is no refund for arriving late or leaving a trip early. Percentage charges are calculated on the total trip cost, including the value of the contest winner’s free journey pass. Cancellations must be in writing: sent via email to email@example.com. Cancellations become effective on the date received by Sojourn Italy. You may transfer from one date to another, for this journey only, up to 96 days before the trip departure without penalty, after which time our cancellation policy applies. New journey dates are subject to the availability and full discretion of Sojourn Italy, LLC. When transferring to a new date or trip, if the new trip costs more than the original trip, you must pay the difference in cost. Your transfer request must be approved by Sojourn Italy, LLC.
Traveler Protection: Sojourn Italy, LLC. does not offer a Travel Protection Plan. It is your responsibility to research a plan (if you wish) that covers: trip cancellation for medical reasons, trip delay, medical expenses, accidental death, lost baggage and medical evacuation.
Other: All guests will be required to sign a travel waiver before departure. Passport required for all guests traveling outside their home country. most countries require that your passport be valid at least 6 months beyond your trip dates.